Writing for Psychology Today, Dr. Lawrence R. Samuel cites seven keys to success:
- Reject the model of money, power, and fame.
- Avoid comparisons to others.
- Take a holistic view of yourself.
- Celebrate your victories, no matter how small.
- Accept failures.
- Prioritize relationships.
- Leave something behind.
Let’s talk about #5. It is important, in any aspect of life, to accept your failures, but to not dwell on them. In order to have a better future, you must quit trying to have a better past. There are three things you need to understand about failures: (a) they don’t define you, (b) they shouldn’t detour you, and (c) they can’t destroy you.
Recovery Step: Celebrate the following verse. “God does not leave us. We are hurt sometimes, but we are not destroyed” (2 Corinthians 4:9).