A recent Psychology Today article describes happiness as “an electrifying and elusive state.” The writer offers research that suggests that happiness is not as much tied to our circumstances as it is to our state of mind.
Marcus Aurelius agreed: “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.”
Scripture offers several thoughts on the subject of thoughts. Here is a small sampling.
- Renew your mind (Romans 12:2).
- Think only pure thoughts (Philippians 4:8).
- God perceives your thoughts (Psalm 139:2).
- Keep your mind alert and sober. (1 Peter 1:13).
- Take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 2;5).
Recovery Step: Happiness is as close as your next thought.