Looking for a good laugh? Consider these nuggets of wisdom from the great Mark Twain.
- “Always obey your parents when they are present.”
- “Always respect your superiors, if you have any.”
- “I know a politician who is also an idiot. But I repeat myself.”
Better yet, let’s consider some even deeper truths from King Solomon.
- “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7).
- “Guard your heart above all else” (Proverbs 4:23).
- “The one who controls his lips is prudent” (Proverbs 13:1).
I love to read. Some of my favorite topics are history, theology, philosophy, politics, biographies, and sports. I enjoy the classics – the works of Tolstoy, Dickens, Twain, and countless others. But the greatest writings are those inspired by God. For that we turn to the Bible. And as a man in recovery, I find the words of Solomon especially helpful.
Recovery Step: Read a chapter of Proverbs every night before bed.