“Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established” (Proverbs 16:3). This says two things. First, we must have plans. Second, when we commit our work to God, those plans will be blessed.
Let’s start with your plan. I have a simple question for you. What is your plan to stay sober this week? I offer something I’ve been suggesting to clients lately. I call it the “Rule of 5.” You need to do five things in recovery each week in order to stay sober. Pick any five from this list, or come up with your own.
- Attend a recovery meeting.
- Make a call.
- Read Scripture.
- Read from a recovery book.
- Work one of the 12 Steps.
- Memorize a Bible verse.
- Read my Recovery Minute each day.
- Confess your struggles.
- Do a Recovery Night with your spouse.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Call someone new to recovery.
- Fast one meal.
Recovery Step: Practice the “Rule of 5” this week.