C.S. Lewis wrote, in his preface to The Screwtape Letters, “There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe in them too strongly.”
“We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, powers, rules of darkness, and spiritual wickedness in high places” (Ephesians 6:12).
Let me suggest nine steps to take against the enemy:
- Understand him (Eph. 6:11).
- Know his methods (2 Cor. 2:11).
- Test the spirits (1 John 4:1).
- Be actively watching (1 Pet. 5:8).
- Resist him (Jam. 4:7).
- Know your weakness (Eph. 4:27).
- Tap God’s strength (Jude 9).
- Avoid situations (1 Thes. 5:22).
- Put on God’s armor (Eph. 6:12-13).
Recovery Step: Much about addiction is tied to spiritual warfare. The good news? That is a war you can win!