“We became aware that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity” (Step 2, AA).
Let’s break down the all-important second step of recovery.
1. Awareness: Until we become aware of our situation and the ability of God to heal, we do not get well.
2. Power: Recovery requires more than personal resolve. Me must tap into a certain power in order to stay sober.
3. Greater than ourselves: If your higher power is anything less than God in Jesus Christ, you need to upgrade your higher power.
4. Could: God’s ability to restore you is dependent on your willingness to let him. God can restore you, but only if you surrender to him completely.
5. Sanity: Until you experience the restoration of God, you will live in a fog. Nothing will ever make sense.
Recovery Step: Only God can “destroy the one who has the power of death” (Hebrews 2:14).