Comedian Ricky Gervais said, “I’ve never worked out what the moral of Humpty Dumpty is. I can only think of this – don’t sit on a wall if you’re an egg.”
Application: If you struggle with sexually compulsive temptations, get off the fence (or wall). Put up some boundaries.
This means living within predetermined guardrails. It means defining proper behaviors with the help of your spouse – in advance. It requires saying “no” sometimes.
Warren Buffett says, “The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say ‘no’ to almost everything.”
As Henry Cloud says, if you don’t set up boundaries, “You get what you tolerate.”
The Bible is full of examples of healthy boundaries:
- “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers” (2 Cor. 6:14).
- “Let your foot be seldom in your neighbor’s house” (Prov. 25:17).
- “If there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Phil. 4:8).
- “Make no friendship with a man given to anger” (Prov. 22:24).
- “Everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matt. 5:28).
What about you? What boundaries have you put in place?
Recovery Step: If you are an egg, don’t sit on a wall. If you are a sex addict – or married to one – set healthy boundaries. Otherwise, prepare for a great fall.