Billy Connolly said, “Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He’s a mile away and you’ve got his shoes!”
Jesus was pointed: “Do not judge others” (Matthew 7:1).
Through the years, I have observed that we tend to judge others by their worst actions, while we judge ourselves by our best intentions. And that is why we should get out of the judgment business.
Let’s get specific. There are several reasons you should not judge another person’s addiction.
- You don’t know her genetics.
- You don’t know her abuse.
- You don’t know her trauma.
- You don’t know her wiring.
- You don’t know her circumstances.
- You don’t know her heart.
Recovery Step: Think about someone in your life who suffers from addiction. Now make a decision: (a) judge them, or (b) love them. Choose prayerfully.